Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A Haunting Introduction


It was the winter of 1972.  It was cold and damp in Florida.
The only thing warming my spirit that day was a party I was looking forward to that evening with my husband. It was boasted  to be a "real happening". We were planning on music and good food and drinks with a bunch of new friends. Just hanging out and making the scene! Our friend Dean had invited us and it all sounded like so much fun from his invitation.
I had gotten dressed early that evening as I was looking forward to the night out and the expectations of  the evening. I thought as I got dressed, "I love this new shirt and jeans I was wearing" it really is just perfect! My long blonde hair was not frizzy for a change from the muggy weather we normally have, tonight it looked terrific, I was so pleased with the way I looked. I was feeling good and in a great mood.  
 
I remember pulling up to the home where the party was and thinking how much fun this night would be. I could hardly wait to get inside. Once we were inside there were smiling happy people standing around everywhere. The typical Flower children of the 70's. I was introduced to at least 15 people as we made our way through the home to the back yard. Just as I was heading out towards the back door I passed a "Florida Room" to my right.
(Here in Florida we have this name designated for small porch like rooms that are inside the house with windows on at
least three walls of the room")
There was just a couple of people standing around in that room. I didn't know any of them. But I stopped and looked in to wave hello to all inside. As I did this, I noticed a young man sitting playing cards in the room on a card table. He looked up and smiled at me. He was a pleasant enough person. He introduced himself as Ron. He said he was just home from his tour in Vietnam. He said it was  great to be home and even greater to be at this party.  He said it was nice to meet me. I said it's great meeting you too Ron. I'm glad your home from the war! Then I said hi to the others and started to turn to leave the room and head out back where my husband was with his friend Dean.
Just then I heard this new friend Ron say to me, "hey, there's something different about you"! I said excuse me, as I smiled and looked at him, are you talking to me?  He replied, "yes, I am". I said, really? How so? He said with a smile and an odd gleam in his eye, "Oh yes, there's something very different about you, I can see it in your eyes, it's all over you, you're special". I laughed nervously and said, gee, thanks Ron. Then his demeanor changed a bit and he said, as he yelled out, "I mean it, don't laugh, you're different from everyone here"! There really is something very special about you! I smiled yet again and said, O.K., thank you Ron, if you say so. What was I to think. This was certainly bizarre to say the least!
 
Then what happened next shocked me, it took me by surprise to say the least! Ron then changed his demeanor and slammed his fist down hard on the card table and his drink and all the cards flew up and the drink spilled as he screamed and pointed to me with the other hand, he said,
"IF I DIE TOMORROW, JESUS CHRIST IS LORD"!
I responded, after I caught my breath, "O.K. man, calm down" then he did it again a second time he slammed his fist down hard on the card table and repeated,
"IF I DIE TOMORROW, JESUS CHRIST IS LORD"!
I said O.K. O.K. I got it. Then he repeated his statement to me that I was special and I had a special calling, I was different.
As he said this again he smiled and nodded over and over with a look of satisfaction in his eyes. I could see he was convinced that I was special. It made no sense to me. But somehow as I looked into his eyes, I felt he was trying to reach me, open my eye's. It was really an odd feeling.

I tried to remain in control and not run out of the house saying something I might later regret. This guy had really freaked me out. Who acts like that when you first meet someone I thought to myself? He must be some special kind of nut?
Why was he saying this to me of all people?  What angered him as I took his prophetic canting lightly? I was a bit afraid of what else he might say, I was so embarrassed, so I thanked him for his kind words to me, said it was nice to meet you, and walked out the back door to the food table where I was reunited with my husband and Dean. They had both heard what Ron had said but laughed it off.  I stood outside thinking to myself, "well, I didn't expect something like that to happen! I was thinking I'll probably be the talk of the party and never live this down! I felt uncomfortable and all of a sudden my desire to hang out and mingle changed.
I told my husband I just wanted to leave.
So we said our goodbyes quickly and headed back into the house and through the maze towards the front door. I passed by the Florida Room again and there sitting quietly was Ron at his card table. He looked at me again and said, don't forget what I said to you  as he pointed at me again, because there is definitely something very special about you.
With that, I told Ron it was very nice to meet him and to have a great night.
I headed for the door and out to the car. As we left I couldn't help but think about the strange sequence of events that had just taken place. I had wanted to be at the party so bad and here we were driving away.
A few days later our friend Dean called to speak with my husband, he said he wanted to tell him about one of his friends who had just died in a horrible car accident. Dean said he was real upset. This was a life long good friend of his who had passed.
I gave the phone to my husband and he said after he hung up, we should go to the funeral to support Dean. He's really choked up about his friend passing away. I said really? I'm sorry to hear that. He said yeah, it was that guy we met at the party the other night. I said which guy? He said Ron. Dean's good friend Ron. He was the guy in the Florida room.
My heart jumped when I heard this. I said, Oh my Gosh! He is the one who said to me,
"IF I DIE TOMORROW, JESUS CHRIST IS LORD" .
I asked my husband how Ron died? He said Dean told him he was on his way to Georgia to pick up his fiancé from Bible College as they were to get married that next week, when a drunk driver hit him head on and killed him. I was deeply moved to hear this. I said ,Yes, we will go to the funeral to support Dean.
 
I had met Ron for only a powerful odd moment in time and now he was gone. His strong words burned into my mind and heart.
He had in fact passed away the next day! This was more than strange. It was a prophetic utterance he had made to me. And was it for my benefit?
We did attend the funeral for Ron, and as I approached the casket I was hesitant and yet filled with peace. Here lay a young man who spoke out for my benefit. A bold man who did not care what others thought as he made his proclamation to me that night. I felt as if I had known him my whole life. One thing I knew then, this day would change all my tomorrows.
To this day I place flowers on his grave and say prayers at his grave site.
Thank you Ron for helping me to see what I could not see.
And yes Ron,
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment