Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Birthday Present

It was 1969, May 26th, my 17th birthday, and I was hanging out with a couple good friends. We were talking and listening to music as was very popular back then. I had driven over to the apartment of my friend Jerry and my best friend Eddie came over to kick off a birthday celebration they had wanted to do for me.
 Eddie was like a boyfriend in a way, but there were no real serious feelings there, we were just great friends, all of us. We got together often and hung out. We all enjoyed guitars, singing, music, walking on the beaches here in Florida and the like.  I couldn't think of a better way to spend my birthday. Doing nothing special but enjoying the day with friends.
 
Just before 11:00 p.m. in the evening that night after a full day at the beach, the park and dinner, I was ready to head home. Jerry and Eddie decided however they would "Turn me on" to what they called a joint, something they both enjoyed
 and had been bugging me about trying throughout the day. I had just laughed at them earlier and said, thanks, but NO thanks. I really wasn't into anything I shouldn't have been doing back then. I was pretty much a straight laced type of girl.  I didn't ever look for trouble like my two friends here.  I had never given into peer pressure as I was usually the one to take a firm stance. Both Jerry and Eddie, who were older than me by a year or two simply hounded me relentlessly all day. They teased me about being so narrow minded and goody two shoes, as well as being funny and sweetly suggesting I should just let my hair down and try what everyone else was doing just once to see if I liked it. After 6 hours of offering this silly joint to me, I said at 11:00 pm OK, OK, I'll try one hit and then please leave me alone! I've got to get home.
They said, "this is your Birthday Present"!
 
So, there we were, sitting in Jerry's two story apartment off 5th Avenue in St. Petersburg, we were in his living room next to the stairway leading down to the outside door. It was dimly lit with candles and a hall light, so Jerry passes the joint to Eddie and Eddie passes the joint to me. Just as I begin to take a draw like they showed me on this joint, I see something white in my peripheral vision of my left eye. I first look at Jerry's face before I turned to see what it was, and I quickly glanced at Eddies horrified face and then glanced over to see what the white light was to my left. To my horror, I saw what appeared to be a white misty like ectoplasm forming into a person, it was quickly growing longer and forming more and more, until I could make out a very frightening demonic looking face. The ghostly face was well formed now and incredibly strange, like nothing I had ever seen before. I was intently starring into the face of this apparition which all of a sudden came at me with lightening speed and went right straight through me. I literally felt it come through me, I almost heard it as if it made a swooshing sound in my ears. It was like nothing I could have ever even imagined. Jerry and Eddie both screamed out loud, "what the hell is that", as they rose from a sitting position and ran down the stairs, leaving me stunned and frightened beyond belief. I don't know how I got up and made it down the stairs, I was literally in a frenzy to get out of that room.  I remember running into a coffee table and almost falling on my face but somehow getting to the stairs and heading out into the warm night air and joining Jerry and Eddie on the front lawn. They where white as sheets the both of them and kept screaming what the hell was that, what the hell just happened up there?
I asked them what they saw and both of them replied, I have no idea what that thing was. A ghost? I asked if they had ever had anything like that happen to them before. They replied, "oh hell no". So we all tried to calm down and get a grip of the moment. We had to stop screaming, it was late at night and we were standing in the front yard talking loudly. I remember saying, I am so freaked out,  I have to get away from here right now. They asked me where I was going, I said up to Royal Castle to get a coffee and think, I'm sure never going back up there again, as I pointed to the stairs! They followed me up to the Royal Castle and we all sat there drinking coffee and going over and over again what had happened to us. We couldn't make sense of any of it, it was just horrifying. How did it get there? We were all at a loss for knowing
what we saw.
 
All of a sudden I realized I had been rubbing my eyes relentlessly while talking. At this point both Jerry and Eddie said you better stop doing that, your eyes are so red and swollen, you don't look good. I went into the restroom and looked at my eyes. What I saw was frightening. The clear covering of my eyes was sagging out of the corners, it was so sore and itchy, I splashed water on my eyes and the burn almost caused me to scream out loud. I could NOT stop rubbing them, the itch was off the charts. I was in constant pain with the itching. Both Jerry and Eddie were so freaked out over the nights experience they both decided to head home around 2:00 a.m.  I said I was going home as well. But I didn't go home. I stayed at the Royal Castle another couple of hours with ice chips on my eyes. Finally at around 5:00 a.m. I started driving around looking for a doctors office to park at to wait for it to open. I thought if I could just get some sleep in the car I would be there when they got in, in the morning. I wondered how this itching had happened, was it from the apparition going through me? It did start just after the happening. What did this experience do to me? Why didn't it do anything to Jerry or Eddie?
At around 6:00 a.m. a nurse was getting out of her car to walk into the Dr.'s office and I got out of my car and asked her to please help me. She said they didn't open for an hour yet and I said that's OK, I'll stay right here in the car until you do. She said I looked horrible and asked what had happened to me. I wasn't about to tell her, so I said my eyes just started itching and I needed help because I can't stop itching them. She told me I was the worst case she had ever seen and said "use some self control", your eye's are in trouble you may have damaged them. I sat and waited for the Doctor.
Once he finally got there he prescribed me drops and gave me samples and sent me on my way.
I never told anyone about this for years. Not even my Mom. Jerry and Eddie were afraid to remain friends with me as they both thought I was the reason for the apparition. They were so freaked out by this we hardly ever spoke again. I was so hurt. How could they  blame this on me? I don't even know what we saw.
Some Birthday Present I thought, I'm never touching that stuff again!
 
When you're young these kinds of experiences teach you about who your friends are and aren't. I learned a lot from this. Both from the Paranormal side of life as well as the normal. Is there a normal?
I really wonder.
 
Definition of: Ectoplasm, An immaterial or ethereal substance, especially the transparent corporeal presence of a spirit or ghost.

Demons & Unclean Spirits (or Ghosts)
The original meaning of the Greek word "daimon" (and its derivations), as written in some of the books of the New Testament bible, were changed over the next two millennia into today's current beliefs and teachings about devils and demons. If we were to look at some other passages containing the word "daimonion" in the gospels of the New Testament, we would see that the meaning is synonymous with "unclean spirit" (For example, compare Mark 1:23 with Luke 4:33). Jesus, we read, spoke to the unclean spirits and they obeyed, leaving the bodies of the possessed. This is important to understand, because we read that Jesus taught (found in numerous passages of the Bible) that people should look to be clean and pure within. For example, in Matthew 23:26, we are told that Jesus scolded the Pharisees to "...first clean that which is within the cup and platter, so that which is outside might also be clean." Interestingly, most near death experiences share a common theme in that many encounter a "life-review" which seems to be a "cleansing process within" in order to help the recently-deceased transition from the physical world unto the next. This experience often occurs after the tunnel of light and meeting of loved ones on the other side of the grave.
 

2 comments:

  1. The eye drops took care of the problem? Or did you also add prayer as you used the drops?
    What a horrible experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eye drops helped, but to this day Opthomologists tell me I have severe marks behind my right eye. They ask if I had an accident. I have never had an accident. Only this experience. The trauma has never gone away from this incident.

    ReplyDelete