Monday, November 3, 2014

The Voice of GOD

It was 1976, I was at church in Clearwater, FL.  I was sitting in a large room with about 85 people. I was up against the wall in the third row back. The chairs were all in a semicircle. We had a visiting preacher in town. He was a very kind man. Sincere and very focused on his sermon.
Everyone was enjoying the scripture verses he was sharing. It was a much needed message for guiding us through life in difficult times.
I was just another person in the crowd listening to what the preacher was saying.
And then everything changed.
 
As I was sitting in my chair looking forward and listening, I heard a strong, comforting, kind voice in my left ear whisper loudly, "stand and share this scripture, Now! Then he spoke the scripture in my ear as well".
I looked behind me and there was no one there. I thought perhaps it was someone in the row behind me who spoke this in my ear.
 My heart was racing. I just heard an audible voice and there is
"NO ONE THERE"!
I thought, who said that? I looked to my left, it was a beige brick wall! I looked at the woman sitting next to me on my right and said, did you hear that? She looked at me as if to hush me, as she was focused on the preacher. She didn't answer me. How could someone speak into my left ear? I was sitting up against the wall!
I shook my head and said to myself, turn to that scripture. As I flipped the pages of my bible to the requested scripture, something made me stand up! Literally stand right up! Right in the middle of this man's message. I was so embarrassed. I was shaking a bit. I heard the voice again say, READ the scripture. But this time it was more in my head than audible.
I just started reading the scripture out loud. The man stopped speaking. I obviously interrupted him. He stood with a peculiar smile on his face as he watched me reading.
After I read the scripture out loud for all to hear, something amazing happened.
He asked me why I read that scripture? I said "I have no idea sir, The voice from the wall whispered in my ear and told me to read this so I did"! The mans smile grew on his face. He looked down at the floor and said softly, I have been struggling all week with this message. I had wanted to share what you just read.
That very scripture.
I decided to read what I was reading. I struggled thinking what I chose was what I should read instead. But GOD obviously wanted me to share what you just read to us all.
He said you don't know me. You had no way of knowing this. ONLY GOD
knew what was truly in my heart. And now,
the HOLY SPIRIT
has moved you to share this for my benefit.
He thanked me for being faithful.
 
I sat down in utter amazement of what had just happened. I kept rethinking this, WHY did GOD choose me? Why not a well versed leader of the church or someone in authority? I was blessed but shocked as well.
The understanding came to me at that moment,  GOD will choose those who are willing.  Regardless of the outcome we have to walk in Faith.
What I took away from this experience was that GOD will use us if we are open to HIS SPIRIT. I pray I never change. I pray HE uses me  for HIS glory until my time on earth is finished.
 


2 comments: