Monday, November 10, 2014

The Proclimation

I was 13 years old and my Mother and I were heading out to visit a new psychic she had made an appointment with. I had no clue what a psychic was. My Mother was in such a hurry to meet this new woman, "Miriam". It was all she could talk about. I remember my Mom telling me that Miriam had great powers with the "other side" whatever that meant, and it had taken her nearly 6 months to book this appointment. To say the least my Mother was extremely excited and here we were driving to the North East section of our city to see this "wonderful" woman. I was feeling very confused. I just didn't understand what all this fuss was really all about.
The North East area of our city was known for it's enchanting homes. I thought, well, at least she'll have a nice house to wait in.
I had no idea what my Mom's excitement was really all about. At 13 there isn't much to know about these things. They just didn't concern me. I was thinking, "Oh great. I'll sit and wait for hours as my Mom and Miriam go do whatever it is psychic's do with the other side"! Needless to say, for me it was simply going to be scary, weird and boring!
 
My Mom had fed me so full of stories about Miriam, she said this woman would talk to the dead and share what they tell her! Sounded weird and scary to me. I wasn't looking forward to waiting in the front room alone like my Mom had told me too, while she was in the back room with dead people talking to Miriam!
So I drove along to this house of high strangeness and didn't speak nary a word to my Mom the whole trip there.  
My young mind was just racing.
As we pulled up to the driveway and beheld the house we were amazed at how pretty it was. Lush landscaping and the home was well taken care of. Beautiful potted plants and various wonderful trees of all kinds. My Mom gave me her last minute instructions.
"Do not say a word when we get inside. Be kind and take a seat immediately and be quite. Don't  come bother us while we are in the back room"! I had heard these instructions a time or two before so I nodded my head and hesitantly followed my Mom up to the front door.
On the front door to this massive home was a pretty framed note. It said,
"Come in, sit down in the foyer and Miriam will be with you at your appointed time". We both looked at each other and whispered, O.K. that's odd.
Then I made my last attempt at not going inside.
 
That seemed really creepy to me, I was starting to get a lot more nervous. I told my Mom I would wait in the car. She was insistent I keep myself quite and proper and sit inside and wait. I remember asking her, well, actually begging her to let me sit in the car. She would simply not allow for this. I was making her angry. She again said sternly, "be quite and behave"!
I felt as if I wanted to run to the car. She gave me that "look" Mom's can give you when you're on their last nerve!
 
My Mother opened the door and we walked quietly inside. The room was huge and so spacious and open. There were a few trees in the room in large pots, they really made a statement! There were beautiful large carpets that lay on the floor, beautiful furnishings and pictures adorned this lovely home. The house had a peculiar smell to it. Like an incense kind of smell. We both  took a seat on a lovely tufted bench in the foyer and in the deafening silence of this huge home, we could hear the ringing of bells like wind chimes, that was the only noise at all, so we waited. Like the sign said to!
We were about five minutes early when we arrived so after about four and one half minutes, we heard a yell from the back room, It shocked us both, even though she was right on point, "Welcome, I will be with you in just a minute". Her voice kind of sang as she spoke, she sounded pleasant enough, was that Miriam?
And with that this Old grey haired woman dressed in a long flowing gown type of dress made her entrance and came around the corner. Her nails were long and painted and she wore sandals with matching polish on her toes.  She had a huge smile, but she was staring at me the whole time. She was truly staring.
My Mother stood up and began to approach her to introduce herself to her, and as she was speaking, Miriam stopped dead in her tracks while looking over at me and screamed out loud! I mean actually screamed, like she had just seen a ghost!
(I thought I was going to faint she scared me so) She said:
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE MARY, "OH MY GOD MARY, LOOK HERE, THIS CHILD WITH YOU IS A CHILD OF GOD! SHE IS VERY SPECIAL, I HAVE NEVER SEEN GOD ON ANY HUMAN BEING LIKE I SEE HIM HERE WITH HER! SHE IS WHITE LIGHT LIKE I HAVE NEVER SEE IN CHILDREN!
I was still holding my breath from the scare of this strange woman yelling and pointing at me! I was shocked, to say the least. What was she talking about? ME?  White light? What is that? GOD? How does she know this?
Then something happened I will truly never forget. My Mother quickly spoke back and became indignant and said very matter of fact, "well Miriam, I did not bring her here to be read!
 I want you to read me!
 
With that Miriam looked strangely at my Mother and said "but Mary", this child is different! My Mom responded, we are wasting my allotted time here. I've waited for months to be here with you!
So Miriam said, very well, yes you have, she composed herself and said, I am just stunned with the light this child has around her, her aura is huge! You must bring her back for me!
With that Mom and Miriam disappeared down the hallway and I heard a door close. Then silence again. All I could hear was my pounding heart! I waited at least an hour sitting on the bench alone. I sat thinking about what this woman had said and really mostly how she said it.  I didn't understand a word of it.
My Mother came down the hall alone with Miriam following behind her a moment later. She asked my Mothers permission to read me. My mother said No, I haven't the money for it. Then my Mom looked at me and could see I was very much afraid of this woman who screamed and startled the dickens out of me. I must have had a very petrified look on my face. Then Miriam offered to read for me for free. My Mother said, No, we have to get back so I can go to work. Miriam asked her to make an appointment with us then at a later date.  My Mother hesitated and said she would call her. With that my Mom said, come on Teri we have to go. My Mom seemed almost as if she was in a hurry to leave. She thanked Miriam again and said goodbye, and we left.
My Mom said almost nothing the whole way home. She looked troubled. I was in fear of asking what the dead had said, so I kept quite.
We never spoke of the visit to Miriam's again, until many years later, while I was in my 50's. My Mother had said she had had a very similar odd experience with me the day I was born. The Doctor and nurses made odd comments to her about me, they told her it was like watching a miracle. She explained you have always been different. I just laughed and took her words into stride.
All Mothers feel that way, don't they?
She told me then at this discussion it would be me who would be the one with her at the end of her life. She had always known that. I would be the one chosen to be with her as she moved into the unknown realms. I assured my Mother then, because I didn't want to have that conversation with her, yes, Mom, I will be there with you.  I am here for you now and will always be.
She smiled and we never talked about any of this again.
I actually was the one at my Mothers bedside when she passed.
But that's another story.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment