Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Miracle Bread

 

So, it was November of 1978. It was a cool day and I had a desire to bake! One of my all time favorite recipes is my Pumpkin Bread recipe. I love Pumpkin bread, so I decided to make two loaf pans of bread. One can of pumpkin was just perfect for two loaves.
I had just gotten a call after the bread came out of the oven.
My friend Paula called me and said we have a girl who has been coming to church lately who has just lost everything, her name was Dorcas. She lost her Job and soon she could loose her apartment. She didn't know if she would be able to keep her car either.
I suggested going to her home and bringing her dinner and some rations to keep her going for a month or so.  I had just made the pumpkin bread so I figured I would bring both loaves to her. My friend loved the idea so we planned a party at Dorcas home to surprise her.
I called Dorcas and let her know we would be coming by with some friends and a few items for her. She said O.K. That would be wonderful!
The next night I gathered up my Pumpkin bread (both loaves) and took it over to her house. There were about 20 or so people who all showed up with canned goods and frozen items as well as cards with cash and other items for the home. It was a wonderful turnout. We served my pumpkin bread as a main dessert for everybody and we served up both loaves. It was a really nice evening. My friend Paula played guitar we all sang and prayed for Dorcas.
I returned home that night with my two empty loaf pans, pleased but exhausted, washed the pans and went to bed.
 
The next morning I woke up and walked into my kitchen. I headed straight for the coffee pot. As I passed the oven I noticed a loaf of Pumpkin bread sitting on the top of the stove right smack dab in the center. I had to look twice! I screamed out load "WHAT"? Then I froze in my tracks. I starred at that loaf of bread and was shocked! I had only made two loaves when I baked my bread 2 days earlier.
TWO LOAVES ONLY!
How could there be a third loaf sitting on my stove? My two clean pans were sitting in the drainer! It was virtually Impossible! I ran to the phone and called my Pastor. I explained what I was seeing on the stove. I said, "what do I do with it"? He laughed and said, "Well Teri, I think you should eat it with your family tonight", I think you should all just enjoy it, obviously GOD has blessed you!
All day long I starred at that pumpkin bread. My husband was shocked! I called several people from church. I shared my story with them all. I went over the night at Dorcas house over and over in my mind, I clearly remember cutting both loaves into thin slices for everybody. Those who were there remember both loaf pans. They said it was great pumpkin bread. Where did this loaf come from? It was literally Manna from Heaven!
 
That night my family and I ate the bread together, we also shared some of it with a couple neighborhood kids who visited for my sons that night.
That was it! It was eaten, it was gone, it was bread from Heaven!
I will never understand how that happened. I only know that it did.
It's amazing to me that GOD chose to bless me with this odd gift.
And YES, It was good and it was in another of my glass pans! 

No comments:

Post a Comment