Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Unseen Hand

 
I was so young when I had an awkward experience that really opened my eyes to the high strangeness of this life.
I was 9 years old. My Mother and I were in a rented apartment in St. Petersburg, FL.
In those days it didn't seem to be as big a deal to leave your children alone or unattended for small amounts of time. It was a different day and time, things didn't seem so dangerous back then. Maybe we were just more naïve? Or perhaps I could simply be trusted. My Mother was always working hard to keep us a float and sometimes she worked as many as three jobs at a time. I must say. She was always busy.
 
There were many nights I would fall asleep alone and hear her come home a few hours later to check  in on me, kiss me goodnight and then start her ironing job by the radio or sometimes watch our little T.V.
I always knew it was her arriving as I usually was woken up by the sound of her car puling up to the apartment making all the racket that little Tempest could make! It was always a big relief to have her home.
 
One night as I lay asleep, I was awoken by a hand on my forehead. I felt it  touch me and move down my cheek to my chin, my eyes were still closed. it was as if to caress my face. This happened two times and finally I opened my eyes.
There was no one there!
The hand had just left my face and there was no one there!
I immediately called out to my Mom in fear, and yet there was no answer. I became very afraid! Extremely afraid!
I sat up and grabbed my blanket close to my face and felt the area I just had caressed by who? By what? I could not understand how this could happen! Being so young I was almost bewildered by the experience. Later that night my Mom came home to find me awake and fearful. She asked me why I was up? It was an angry voice  coming from her that night. I wasn't sure I wanted to share this with her because she was already upset about something. I had waited all night for her to get home, and now, I said nothing. I was so relieved she was home, I just said "I couldn't sleep". I lay back down and fell fast asleep in the comfort of her presence.
 
Many years have passed since this experience.   I have always wondered, what was that? Why did that happen? Who was that?
What did it mean?
I believe many things like that happen to teach us to overcome fear.
To guide us and mold us into what we are quickly becoming for the next phase of our life. To prepare us for the life preordained and chosen for us.
 
I am grateful. If we live long enough, everything comes full circle and all questions become known.
 
Today, I understand.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment