Monday, November 24, 2014

Divine Intervetion


It was the summer of 1983 and I was walking home from a local corner food store less than a mile from my home. I had run to the store just for the exercise and a cup of coffee, the coffee was my reward for the exercise. It was about 8:00 pm at night and it was starting to get dark out. I wanted to get home quickly so I decided to take a short cut behind the food store and go through a small wooded area. It was along a train track that was close to my neighborhood but would get me home a few minutes quicker than walking the street route home.

I started heading behind the little store and was walking at a brisk pace to get through the lightly wooded area. It was getting really dark and I saw 3 young men standing on the outskirts of the trees near the Rail road tracks.
I wasn't really concerned as I was obviously older than the three boys from what I could hear of their voices in the distance and thought to myself, they're probably harmless little kids. So I kept walking at a good pace.  I did pay close attention to the boys however. I realized it could be a problem.
All of a sudden I heard the one young man say to the others, "hey, when she gets close to the tracks lets grab her purse and rough her up", then he laughed! I was shocked and horrified all in the same moment when I heard that, as I was getting closer and closer to them with every step. They didn't realize I could hear them and I began to panic a bit. It actually didn't make any sense that I could hear them so clearly, I wasn't that close I thought! How was it possible for me to have heard this?
My heart was pounding as I got closer and closer to the young men.

I had just cashed a large check a day before at my bank and had around three hundred dollars cash in my wallet as I approached these boys and I knew if they tried to over power me they probably would get my purse easily. Three against one was bad odds for me!

I cried out to GOD and prayed "GOD please help me NOW"!
Just as the words left my thoughts, I heard a very strong male voice whisper in my left ear "Ask the boy's if you can borrow a dime for a phone call". So as I got directly across from them, right at the rail road tracks I said to them, "hey you guy's got a dime I can borrow for the phone at the store over there"?
They all answered and said, (very politely I might add),
"no sure don't". I was still shaking a bit as I kept on walking towards them. But I acted and spoke as if I weren't a bit afraid.

I was now close enough to see their faces. One said, hey, where you going? I said "home to get some money", I forget my change purse! Then I laughed and walked quickly over the train tracks and onto the neighborhood street. I was at a faster clip now. The street lights had come on and I was grateful to be closer to the roadway. They boy's were still talking to me, but I kept walking. My heart was pounding so fast and loud I could barely hear what they were saying. I felt like I was going to faint. I didn't want to even look behind me to see if they were coming my way. I thought as long as I'm on this street I can bolt to a local home for help if I need to.
Then all at once an amazing peace came over me!

After about two minutes, I looked behind me and I could see by the street lights that they were way behind me at the same place I had walked quickly past them. It was then that I realized the voice that spoke to me, literally saved me! It must have been an Angel I thought to myself? I clearly heard him say to me, to ask to borrow a dime. I didn't question what I heard. I was so afraid I simply repeated what I hear him say.  I just did as the voice said! I would have never thought of that on my own! I was to panic stricken at that moment to come up with a plan. How was it I thought I could hear them all so clearly too? Why did that happen?
I thanked GOD all the way home for sending a messenger to help me.  I had asked and for help to protect me and I received it!  I carried all that money safely past the boy's and the danger they poised towards me. The VOICE I heard spared me from a very different possible outcome!

Even today as I think of this memory I give the Glory to GOD for this miracle in my life! It was truly divine intervention!
One more vocal intervention that I am very grateful for!



No comments:

Post a Comment