Friday, December 5, 2014

My Cujo Moment

 
It was 1990, I was babysitting my 8 year old niece. She wanted to go to the store to get some bubble gum. I just couldn't resist taking her she was so sweet. So we decided to walk the 6 blocks instead of taking the car. We thought we could turn this into a great opportunity to enjoy the wonderful night air.
We set out towards the neighborhood store. We were walking and talking and laughing and just simply enjoying each others company.  My niece was the kindest, happiest little kid. She was always smiling. She loved to spend time with me and I so enjoyed every moment I had to get together with her.
 
We had just gone under the big bridge on 30th Avenue and were nearing our destination.
Out of what seemed to be nowhere a huge German Shepard dog came barreling around the corner. He ran right up to us and jumped up in my face barking and snarling his teeth at me. I was scared beyond belief. This angry huge dog was right at my feet and showing every tooth in his mouth to me. His growl was frightening. I tried to give him a command to sit and be quite and he lunged at my face. He went to bite my arm but I stood as still as a statue. My little niece started to cry and he lunged at her. I spoke without moving my mouth to her and I spoke very slowly. I told her "don't move a muscle, don't speak"! She immediately obeyed me. The Dog than turned back to me growling the whole time. I looked away from the dog as not to make eye contact.
He stayed right at my feet but would not allow either of us to move a muscle.
 
I started praying. I asked GOD to send someone to help us. I felt we needed a miracle. I kept praying! We'd been in the sites of this dog for over 25 minutes and not one person driving by us could tell we were in danger. I started to move my hand up to try to flag a passerby. The dog lunged again at me with every slight movement. My niece was crying and whimpering softly. The dog was growling at her with every whimpering. Showing his large teeth each time. The mosquitoes were now out and we were both being bitten everywhere. My niece was in pain from the bites. I tried to calm her. I had my hand half way up to flag cars now. I tried to wave at a passerby in a truck. He saw me. He pulled his pick up over and backed up. What are the chances he was a dog trainer with the police department? He gave the dog one command and the dog backed up and sat down! He then ran off in the direction he came from. The man in the truck asked us what happened. We both were so grateful. We told him everything. He said he was so sorry this happened. He thought the dog may have belonged to another officer who lived in the vicinity and he must have gotten loose from him.
 
GOD had once again answered prayer! We got our Miracle! We were elated. The police officer asked us if he could give us a ride to the store. He insisted actually because this had happened to us. I asked him first to show us his credentials. He did and verified he was in fact a police officer. So we took the ride to get my niece her bubble gum, and then he drove us back home again.
 
I will never forget this experience. It could have gone so much worse. I cringe when I think of what that dog could have done to us. I'm grateful somehow that dog never hurt either one of us. It was like he wanted to, but just didn't.
Perhaps there was a barrier between us and him.
The spiritual barrier....PRAYER!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment