Thursday, December 18, 2014

Holding The Hand Beyond

 
It was 2003, I had a very ill older friend who had just been hospitalized. She had been a good friend for at least 18 years. She and I spend dinner after dinner talking about life and our faith. We spent hours on the phone talking just about everything under the sun. My friend was alone in this life with no other siblings and her husband and parents had passed away long before. She was a bit of a worry wart and was suffering from an ulcer which was very serious. I visited her every other day in the hospital, as I worked every day and tried to be there for her as often as I could. She and I had become more like family than friends over the years.
 
One evening when I went into the hospital to visit my friend the hospital staff told me they would be moving her to a rehab facility soon  as she seemed to be getting better. I was so excited. I thought this was her turning point from this dreaded illness to better health.
I walked down the long sterile corridor to my friends room.
I knocked softly on the door, I could hear her talking to someone, I hesitated going in for a moment.
When I finally entered the room I noticed the lights had been turned off and the room had an orphic feel to it.  The shades were pulled closed on the windows. My friend  was lying in her bed alone with her hand up in the air and talking with someone as if she were holding their hand.
It really looked like there was a hand in her hand, from the position she held her hand in. She was holding it tightly. I walked over to the window and opened the drapes a bit to let a little sun in. As I got closer to her I  said "how are you feeling today"?
She replied with a cheery and enthusiastic, "OH, I'm so glad you're finally here, I want you to meet my Mother"! I said O.K., with a slight laugh in my voice. She then grabbed my hand as I got closer to the bed and said, "Mother, this is my good friend Teri that I have told you so much about", Teri, this is my Mother, and she then said her name.
It was all so normal, and yet extremely paranormal.
I saw no one. My friend kept looking over at her Mother and talking the whole time to her as she held both our hands squeezing them both as she talked. Then she would look at me and speak to me just as normal as she always had.
 
I looked up again at my friends hand, then I looked at her holding my hand. It looked as if there was a hand she was holding although there was no one there. I  then said, "Hello, it's so nice to meet you". I felt something very powerful in the room, but yet  I still saw nothing.
My friend then said she and her Mother were talking about many things together. She wanted me to grab a  piece of paper on the desk and write some things down. I did as she asked.
It was amazing what she told me. She spoke as if her Mother were right there and they were both speaking together very naturally.
It was a lot for me to take in.
Her Mother was right there. Less than three feet away from me.
My friend  was holding onto two dimensions and she was able in her failing frail state to interact with us both.
I kept looking across the bed hoping to see someone. From the placement of her hand and mine it was literally exact. I studied how her hand moved as she spoke to her Mother. I was really in disbelief. I had never had something like this happen before. I spoke to her and her Mother as if I could see her Mother so as to keep the flow of communication open. It was surreal. 
After about 30 minutes of this going on she said goodbye to her Mother and said she was going to spend some time talking with Teri for a while. She kissed her Mothers cheek and said goodbye. She let go of her Mothers hand. We visited for another hour.
I sang to her and prayed with her and then headed for home.
 
My friend passed away the next day.
 
Even though the doctors had said she was improving and could go to a nursing home for rehabilitation. My friend told me while I was in the room with her and her Mother that previous day that she was ready to leave this life and go on to meet her husband again and be with her  parents beyond the veil. She was so excited to see her husband again. She was really looking forward to it.
 
I never heard anyone make so much sense while existing in two worlds at once. It was an experience I hold dear.
I have held the hand of someone from beyond. What an adventure that was. I was privileged to meet someone from the other side.
My friend told me her Mother was so happy to meet me.
That will always mean a lot to me. I look forward to seeing both my friend and her mother again some day.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment