Monday, January 26, 2015

Blacker than Black.

 
So, it was late 1969, I was looking for an apartment to rent. I was living in St. Petersburg, Florida. I looked for two weeks for something large enough and close enough to my work.  I finally found one on 9th Street North, it was perfect, a huge over the garage apartment that had plenty of space and an open floor plan that I was looking for. Very cool and old! But there was one problem. It had a huge black wall in the main living room. This color wasn't a color I would have ever chosen to paint in a living room, or on any wall for that matter, but I decided to take the apartment anyway.
It struck as me as odd. It made me feel strange somehow. It was unsettling. I couldn't stop glancing at it while I was with the little old lady renting it to me. I didn't want to say anything negative about it, so I just kept quite. Why would someone paint a wall that size black? Why would someone do that? I thought to myself.
 
I had a few friends stop by after I got settled and moved in. They all loved the wall, to my surprise, they thought it was cool. I still hadn't wanted it there. I thought about painting it as soon as I could get the money together for a good primer and paint! I knew I wouldn't get reimbursed for the cost, so I hesitated.
 
It seemed that every night as I sat in my living room I would see something moving in the wall. It would catch my peripheral vision. It was blacker than black. It moved from the corner to the center of the wall. It was really weird. Did I see that? Or was my mind playing tricks on me? I know I saw that! It was such a big wall. I choose to ignore it, as I thought to myself, how crazy is that.
There's nothing there, it's just a wall, Painted black.
 
How wrong I was!
 
After about two months I had accepted the wall as a necessary evil. I kind of ignored it and found myself in my bedroom more than in the living room so I didn't have to look at it. I didn't want the wall to distract me, or freak me out. It seemed that something was going on in that wall!
I also got a room mate soon after moving in.  She told me one night how she hated the black wall and we needed to paint it. I agreed, but time and money were hard to come by as we were both working long days and doing school as well. Money was limited and we just never got around to making that happen.
 
One night we decided to have a group of friends over for a party. Sometime during the night while  about eight of us were hanging out, a guy friend shouted out loud, "Hey, I think I just saw something moving on that wall"! I said, "really"? He replied, "I know I did, it went from the corner of the wall to the middle of the wall and stopped"!
I hated to hear this as it confirmed my deepest fear, this is exactly what I had thought I had seen. And my room mate also said, that wall is so creepy it makes me so uneasy. Another friend yelled out, "That's the beer talking dude", and again he said. "No way, I know what I saw, that's really creepy, let's get the hell out of here"! I asked him to show me where it was now, he replied, I cant see it now, but it was there!
I told them all I had seen something there as well, it was blacker than the black wall, and again the friend said, Yes, exactly. It was blacker than the wall!
 We all left. We went out to the beach and talked about the wall all night long.
 
Well, you can imagine how weird that was for me. I didn't want to go home until it was daylight.
I had hoped if I ignored the wall and what I thought I saw, it would just go away. But deep down inside I had no peace about this apartment.
At that time in my life I didn't know how to cleanse or handle this sort of thing. I was freaked out but just decided I would paint the wall for sure now or just move out immediately.
 
I decided to move, as the wall seemed to be intimidating me. It took up too much time in my thoughts and I didn't want to waste the money on painting. The landlord would never reimburse me. But what was the real issue here I wondered? Had someone died in this apartment and slumped over on that wall, or worse? Was there angry energy there? Why had the last tenant painted it black? What caused this shadow black figure to repeat it's walking cycle?
I didn't want to know!
 
I moved out and lost my deposit money on the apartment that week. It was a lot of money to loose for me but my peace of mind was more important than wasting money on painting this rental. I wasn't sure painting that wall was the answer. My room mate left a day before I did. The last night I spent there I had another friend stay with me over night. I had had many incidences in my life thus far with odd happenings and bizarre voices. I just wanted it all to go away from me!
Everyone had a very negative feeling towards that wall. It was good to know for my own peace of mind, it wasn't just me.
 
Every now and then throughout my life I would drive by that apartment and just stare at it for a moment or two. Remembering what I suffered there.
Then one day I drove past it again, and to my surprise it was being demolished.
The apartment never was the same after what ever energy once lived there.  
Now it was being demolished. I wondered why? Was everyone afraid to be there? This was back in the day before hauntings were hip! I wish I would have found out more about the apartment.
I didn't ask anyone about why the apartment was being demolished as I didn't want anyone to think I was crazy. But now I so wish I would have.
Who was that figure that was blacker than the black wall?
I'll never know. Maybe....
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment