Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Heavenly Choir

 
So, it was 2006. I was in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin at a Hospice house visiting my elderly Mother who was one day away from death.
We had a harpist come in and play for her as she laid comatose in her bed. She was very frail.
My sister, her husband and my cousin were there with me. We had been there for several hours and my sister and her husband and my cousin had gone out to sit in the front waiting area of the Hospice and had left me alone with my Mother in her room.
I went to sit near her bed and said to her softly, "Mom, I don't know what to say to you just now, But I feel as if I want to simply sing to you. You have always loved my singing and this I want to do now for you.
I stood in the middle of the room and closed my eyes. I raised my hands to GOD and began singing a worship song.
"Worthy is the, Lamb who was slain, Holy, Holy is HE"
As I began singing this I felt the room fill with People. I thought Oh, how nice others have joined me. But I didn't hear anyone else singing. It felt as if there were 100 people in the room. It was an overwhelming feeling. I felt as if I tried to put my hands down I would hit someone! Just then, I opened my eyes, and to my amazement, I was the only one in the room, other than my Mother, but the room still "felt" packed with others. I thought to myself as I kept singing, how strange is that! So I just I kept singing. I sang and sang. I was experiencing such peace!  I could feel a wondrous feeling all over me. I looked at my Mom lying there in bed as I sang and she seemed very calm and relaxed.
All of a sudden I heard footsteps running in the hall and voices.
I turned as I sang towards the door and there were my sister and cousin and a nurse standing in the doorway. They asked me what was that singing. I said, "Oh, that was just me" My sisters husband now came through the door, he said, What was that? I explained it was just me singing to Mom. He replied, "no, there were so many voices", It was like a choir singing! It was so beautiful! I assured him it was only me!
The Hospice nurse said, "that was the most beautiful singing", It sounded like angels singing, I smiled as I remembered the feeling of the room being full of others.
It actually was! How thrilling! 
To this day it remains a mystery as to how the heavenly choir of angels could have been heard singing with me that afternoon. I'm just grateful they accompanied me.
What a glorious send off for Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment